My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado, United States

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Saving The World

When I was young and growing up in a small, very small town in southern Utah, I would go into the general store to get something and I would see all these old men setting around just talking, smoking pipes or cigars. I wondered what they were talking about. What would a bunch of old farts have to say that was so important that it would occupy their whole day?

Now I know. It was the 1950 version of blogging. We don't have general stores anymore. Someplace to sit, smoke and generally save the world. WalMart would go into orbit if a bunch of old codgers lit up, put their feet up on a plastic McDonald's table and started discussing politics or what their neighbors were doing last night. Now every where you go it's "NO SMOKING", "NO LOITERING" "SHOES AND SHIRT REQUIRED" . Political correctness wasn't even heard of. God forbid if anyone is ever offended. I wanted to grow old and be one of those old codgers that were fixing things. Making things right. But, alas, this is the 21st century. So now I am a blogger (Not to be confused with people who dance in those wooden shoes) and I want to create a blog page that will give old codgers and curmudgeons an opportunity to lean back, put their feet up, light up and help me save the world

12 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Welcome to blogging, Rob.

You're right about the wooden shoes - these days everyone's wearing Crocs. They're all the rage in Blogland.

So, is it official? Is your entire family blogging now?

Enjoyed your post. Looking forward to more!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

The 1950 version of blogging. I love that.

I'll bet you find lots of old codgers and curmudgeons out there who will help you save the world.

xoxoxo

1:58 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Curmudgeon Central, I like your approach to saving the world. Better to smoke peace pipes and talk about it than to immediately brandish weapons. But when you and Barb want to blog at the same time, I do see the potential for battle. Your loving mother inlaw, Judith. P. S. See you soon.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Dad,

I can't believe you finally started a blog! I have been looking every day! I can really see your personality shine through! (For a minute, you even sounded grouchy!) Because of the stories you have shared with me about growing up, I could almost picture the scene: an old western town, tumble weeds, grumpy old men sitting around sharing a cigar and talking about life...good job! Good luck saving the world! And welcome to blogging!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Brenda, I have a daughter, Leslie - a good writer, but she doesnt even like email and swears she will NOT ever blog. Too bad - our loss. But at least there is one family member who didn't jump on the bandwagon. Oh and my husband, who thinks we're all nuts.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Hello Rob! Gutsy to join into this with all these hormonal women. Youre bound to give us a different perspective on just about everything; and I personally think I'm going to love arguing with you about it all - welcome! xoxoxo

7:31 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Uncle Rob, I can't even remember the last time I saw you, but when I read this, I could clearly see you, and I missed you. And I laughed out loud, hard. I'm so glad you've jumped onto the Dynasty bandwagon . . .

8:04 PM  
Blogger Krissy said...

Daddy- I think the people who dance in wooden shoes are cloggers- not bloggers. :) I am sooooooo excited you started a blog! I love your stories! I really do- even when they are about airplanes that I have never even heard of. You are so full of information I still think you shoud write the next edition of The World's Largest Bathroom Book. :)

5:51 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Yes Brenda now the whole family is blogging. I am not sure if my future blogs will be as enthralling, but I will try...

Bev...I never argue...I debate. I'll bet Don would blog if he could find the right one...fishing perhaps?

Mandy...Hippies share joints, curmudgeons don't share cigars.

Krissy...anyone who has ever flown their own airplane will understand how it gets into your system and how the adrenaline causes a major medical sympton called exaggeration. That doesn't mean it really didn't happen!!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Sarah...The last time I saw you was when you were living in pinknyville (sp). I find it hard to believe that so much time has passed so quickly. Then I look in the mirror at this old face and say.."yup...time has surely flown by" I can't say I have joined the dynasty, more like I have started blogging in self defense and so I can get the computer away from Barb

2:08 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Uh oh.......

2:53 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

You have been blogging since 2006 and Barb has just now mentioned it. Oh Barb you are in trouble now =)))

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home