My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado, United States

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Beautiful Night

I stepped outside a little while ago with our little Shih Tzu for her bedtime constitutional and the night was beautiful. The air was crisp with a hint of frost and the sky was loaded with stars. I remembered nights like this when I was flying between Wichita Falls and Dallas carrying air freight and mail.
We would climb out and away from the big city lights of Dallas at 4am and head northwest. Level out at 5,000 and get on the step. The "captain" would crawl into the back of the old Beech 18 and do his paperwork and leave the flight deck to me. I would turn down the instrument lights to their lowest setting and just marvel at the night.
Sitting up there alone with those big radials turning in perfect sync, air as smooth as glass and just stare at the stars. Sometimes the stars would appear to merge with the few scattered lights on the ground and it would seem just like you would imagine being in space would be with stars all around you. It would almost cause vertigo if you weren't careful.
All too soon it was time to get back to business and land at SPS.

God how I miss flying!

2 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

What a nice post. And I know you miss flying. I can't say I'd like you taking a tiny little airplane up, but I know you miss it.

xoxo

8:04 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I wish you were still flying. Not only because I want you to take me up, but because I know how much you loved it.

With cities being what they are today, it's almost impossible to ever be surrounded by stars without city lights dimming them. I can only imagine what this experience was like for you.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home