My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado, United States

Monday, June 12, 2006

Golf is good

The 2006 annual golf tournament is in the record books. The last putt has dropped, the last steak consumed and the last drop of sunburn lotion used up. A good time was had by all. There are some conclusions that I have drawn from my 3 day experience in glorious Goodland.

1. Sugar Hills golf course is one of the prettiest in the country.

2. I still can't hit my 3 wood.

3. I am an amateur curmudgeon. There were some real pros on the course this year. One of them was in my foursome on the 2nd day. He didn't like anything that was going on. On the course or off. He let us know how he felt about how slow the play was. Why we always had to wait to tee off. It was ruining his game. We heard "how can anyone take so long to find a lost ball" and "why would anyone need to stand over their ball that long just to hit it."

Golf is supposed to be a gentleman's game. At least that's the way I play it. I try not to upset the other players in my group with my grousing. I keep all the bad words to myself. (usually). This pencil neck complained loud and long about everything. "Play is too slow" "Tee's are too far back" (boo hoo) Handicapping was done wrong. (Only if you don't think the USGA knows how to handicap) Not enough food at the (free) lunch. Too hot...Too windy. On and on and on.....

I am working at being a good curmudgeon, but after playing 9 holes of golf with this mouth I can see that I have a long way to go. Stay tuned...I took notes.

On a happier note. 45 holes of golf is always a pleasure to me. Good shots, bad shots or missed putts and lost balls...It's always a good day on the golf course. And playing Sugar Hills with my Father-in-Law is double good. Between us we managed to win $120 worth of prizes (even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes). Over all I would rate the golf scores as awful but the experience was awesome. I am looking forward to next year. We'll get 'em next year.

7 Comments:

Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I know Dad looks so forward to this every year, and youre a good sport to join him. He'll be calling you early spring of next year, making plans to go again in spite of the old grouch who was with you. Bet Dad just shook his head a lot. If you cant have fun playing golf, when can you. His loss. Glad it was great since you had to drive a gabillion miles to play. xoxo

PS If you want to read about growling and complaining read my most recent post - this grump should have been in church with us this Sunday instead of on the course; sounds like he needed to hear the sermon I did.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

You and I both know every year when you go to be Dad's partner in this tournament you're gonna run into people like this super grouch. And then there's also the ones who cheat and feel real good about it when they come in ahead of the guys who played their game, like gentlemen, and did not cheat. Still, I'm always proud of how you handle it. And yes, you have a ways to go before you hit super curmudgeon status!

xoxoxo

8:47 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Bev - I don't think Chet even noticed. I think he had his hearing aids turned off.

Barb - I think I need to study my notes and really try hard to be a curmudgeon. But it's coming along.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I don't know, Dad, sometimes you do pretty well with the Curmudgeon thing. Too bad you weren't striving for this when I was serving at Coco's. Now those customers would have provided phenomenal notes for you.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Uh Rob, so if you would work on your template and change those little things that say Edit Me to your daughters and wife I could play hopscotch when I'm bloghoppin'. You know. read yours then hop on over to another family member....just a thought.

When Don calls his mother sometimes right in the middle of the conversation her hearing aid batteries go and he starts repeating, then getting louder and louder. By the time he hangs up he's worn out. We, at our age, need to take the pledge, sign it in blood - we will wear hearing aids when they become necessary, we will keep them turned on, and we will keep a backup supply of batteries.....I'm swearing, are you swearing?

4:45 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Sorry Bev, I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't hear you

1:22 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hysterical Dad! Ha! I bet Mom loved that last comment! Now, you know that particular story is blogworthy! Do it!

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home