My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado, United States

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Life is a box

For quite some time now my daughters and wife (A Chelsea Morning) have poked fun at my woodworking projects. They get a hoot by laughing at my Boxes. And now their influence is spilling over onto my son-in-law and future son-in-law. Granted they neither one would laugh right out loud but I see their looks.
I'm here to explain, not justify or excuse my projects, just explain where , why or even how this came about. No it's not a guy thing ! It is in my genes.
Growing up I was just like most of the other little kids around. Absolutely adored their grand father. I lived for the day he would look at me and smile that small little up turning of the mouth corners. Looking back I see where we were not rich. We weren't poor, but money was hard to come by. When things broke, we fixed them. If we couldn't fix 'em we didn't run out to the hardware store for another...we built another. If a new widget was needed around the farm or house we made it. Probably couldn't buy exactly what we needed anyway. My grand father was a carpenter. The house they lived in, the house I was born in, was designed and built entirely by my grandfather. In grandma's kitchen he built in bins that folded out and held flour, sugar, salt. The first "lazy Susan" I ever saw was built by grandpa in grandma's kitchen. My grand parents house had more storage built in than any modern cracker box. There was not a single wasted inch. He had an amazing collection of little boxes that held nails, screws, planes and all sorts of little things any good carpenter would consider essential. He built boxes with drawers. Boxes with cubby holes. He even built himself a shoe shine box that held all of the polish, rags and brushes and a place to lock the shoe in place while he shined it. If the family needed it or even thought they needed it...he built it.
If I need someplace to keep papers, nails, staples or tape measures...I build it. I build it for that one particular need. Nothing else. If I need something else I build it. Function specific!
So now you all can see that I come by it naturally. I was born to it.
Also, when I am out in my garage/workshop cutting, gluing, sanding on a box my mind clears and I am concentrating solely on my little box. All the other thoughts and worries go away for a little while and I relax and "chill out"

Plus I get a cool new box.

P.s. I have a birthday coming up. I need some more wood

6 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

LOL You crack me up, Honey. Of course we'll ALL make sure you don't run out of wood because we actually love it when you're out there building another box.

When you're building another box, we know you're happy. Doesn't even remotely matter what that box is for. Knowing you, it's for something really, really imortant.

Like all your duck tape. Or something.

Hey! Do you have a box for your duck tape?

xoxoxo

7:41 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Duct tape box...GOOD IDEA!!!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hey! I never laugh at your boxes! You said daughters - plural! I love your boxes! Especially the money box that won't open! Remember when Mom tried to break into it? Hee hee!!!

I will keep the wood thing in mind for Father's Day, since it's way past your birthday!

6:21 PM  
Blogger mombo said...

It's a good thing I'm married to a great guy, 'cause there's nothing more attractive to me than a capable, handy, creative guy. WOOHOO! And one who loves storage? Fuhgeddaboutit! I wanted to take woodworking in school, but my folks said that was a class for boys. :P I still want to learn. Just don't know where I'd go to do it at this point.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Mombo: Just find someone who does it as a hobby and ask them to show you something. There is not one carpenter or craftsman who wouldn't jump at the chance to show off.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home