My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado, United States

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Radom Musings

At what point did Americans become losers? At what point did we stop trying? Did it all start when we decided that terms like "Failure" or "Failing" we politically incorrect? Or was it programs like "No Child Left Behind". No Child Left behind...now there's a cluster that is designed to kill Any incentive to actually learn. Why should a young student work hard to learn how to read or add a column of numbers if he or she knows that they can advance anyway. Whether he meets the standards or not.
Standards. Now there's a good idea gone bad. Education systems all over the country have adopted standards. The students are tested to see if they meet the standards. If a school scores high they recieve more money. If they score low they are shunned, tsk tsked in the local papers and admonished to bring u their test scores. Am I the only one in this room that sees what is wrong with that picture? If a school is struggling to meet those arbitrary standards (who decides what the standards are any way) they should be the ones getting the extra cash. Cash to buy more teaching aids, hiring more teachers, reducing class size.
So now teachers are teaching the test. Never mind there are no life skills involved. Just get those scores up.
What if little Johnny or Joannie can't get it? Don't pat them on the head and say "nice try, enjoy life" then pass them along to another grade and another poor teacher. Why don't we try saying "you have failed the 8th grade. You are being left behind". Maybe, just maybe we would again raise a generation of achievers (winners) and not a generation of underachievers (losers) who feel they are entitled to the trophy, even though they didn't even suit up for the game. Feel they are entitled to the top paying job even though they don't have the skills or qualifications. These "underachievers" should go into politics.

Politicians. Now there's a fine example of Americas best. But that is a subject for another post.

7 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

Well, I knew you and Mandy were having a lot of deep discussions. Let me guess what you were talking about. I agree with you that kids don't need to try hard any more when they know they're going to the next grade regardless. It's too bad. And it's why so many graduating seniors can't comprehend what they read.

Unfortunately it ends up being left to teachers like our daughter to make learning exciting enough that they WANT to excel.

This is a topic that could engender hours and hours of discussion (or argument).

I sense you venturing into deeper water here. Knew you would sooner or later.

One of the many reasons I love you. You're BRAVE. xoxoxo

1:37 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Well, Dad, I agree and I disagree.

Let's start with agree: I do agree that advancing students regardless of what they do is not the best idea. Whether it is because they are what you said "underachievers" who care more about dirt bikes and soccer than school, or because they have developmental learning issues that cause them to struggle, if they are not ready to be advanced, they should not. It only gets worse for them down the road when they are herded along despite their readiness. I also agree that this causes frustration for teachers. When a child does not "pass" the CSAP, it is the teacher who takes the heat. I also agree that low scoring schools should get more money.

Disagree: I like the standards. Not only do I walk in knowing what to teach, I also know that other teachers in other classrooms in the state are teaching the same thing. Then, when little Sally gets uprooted from her school in Frederick and gets planted in my classroom in Montrose, she is not completely lost, and I don't spend endless amounts of time catching her up. I know what they should have learned the previous year, and thus what they come to me "knowing,". Likewise, I know where to take them to prepare them for advancement into further grades. And as far as the test goes - if you are not teaching the state mandated standards, don't expect your students to do well.

Testing - I could really get started on this, so I will leave it untouched. A very useful tool for teachers, (I personally like data), but misused too often.

I surprisingly enjoyed this post, Dad. I am proud that you speak your mind, especially when it mirrors the things I will not say, because despite the messes I love my job and would not want to lose it.

Free speech...a beautiful right! (When we have it...but, I digress)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Honestly, I'm not sure the kids know this at all, esp the ones who arent making the grade, and are likely inflicted with parents who don't give a rip. They just keep on showing up, with no clue that theres a goal to even be aimed at.

I know Leslie and Mandy both deal with this; sadder than the system is the kids who are the victims of it. They may get to pass but they pay the price by not ever being forced to achieve what they can. I always told our kids "your best is always good enough." Too bad the system now allows that to not be necessary, nobody to push them for their best. Sorry, I always stick up for the underdog and I see the kids being that in this case.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

I hope everybody knows that I am blaming the system...not the kids.
Bev, you are right on when you mentioned parents. They indirectly caused the current system by not being a part of their kids education.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Dad, I know that you were not intending to blame the kids. I agree with you that it is the "big whigs" who are making all these decisions, looking at "standards, and states, and test scores, and schools" rather than at the kids. Unfortanately, it's the kids who are most negatively affected.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Notice how the people making these decisions have never taught a day in their lives.

10:40 PM  
Blogger mombo said...

I think it's a dangerous shift towards Communism, actually. And see how well that worked for the Communists! I mean, really, nothing is more harmful to free enterprise and ambition than the constant leveling of the playing field.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home